The ARRL puts on a frequency measuring contest every 6 months, whereby a full-carrier signal is transmitted on a particular frequency for a few minutes on different amateur radio bands. Your goal is to measure the frequency of the signal as accurately as possible, preferably within 1 Hertz. Continue reading
It’s been a while, but I finally have put together another video. It starts a new series on small transmitting loops (“magnetic loops”), the workhorse type of antenna at my station. These antennas are a great option for working on HF when you have very limited space. Part I of the series gives introductory information and how to do the calculations to design a loop that works for your situation. Later videos will show how to build and use this type of antenna.
My limited space for transmitting antennas that I can leave up for any useful length of time makes it hard to put up any sort of “normal” antenna on HF, but it also forces me to be a little creative with antennas, which is not a bad thing. Continue reading
Wow, it seems like just 99 posts ago when I started this blog! When I started three years ago, I was just doing shortwave DXing and on the verge of getting heavily into AM and FM broadcast band DXing. This was all due to discovering software defined radio (SDR). Getting into radio listening has gotten me into ham radio and I’m having a lot of fun with that. Ham radio has the bonus of feeding my antenna-building obsession that begin when I built my first tuned loop for AM BCB. Continue reading
Phew! Since I’m at the end of my first 12 months on the air, I decided to put in as full of an effort as I could in the CQ Worldwide SSB contest. Given the limitations of my station, the results-to-effort ratio was rather small, but conditions played a role in that, as well as the huge pileups due to so many people on the air. This post talks about the station upgrades I made before the contest, while the next one will be about the contest itself. Continue reading
I had partially written up a report for this contest back in April, but never got around to finishing it. However, I finally had a chance to see my results after all this time, so I decided to finish the report and include an interesting addendum. Continue reading